Saturday, September 22, 2012

From a train room to a studio

Before my husbands passing in 2001 we added a room onto our home because of our love of toy trains.  The room is 15x18 with a bay window looking out at the pool and creek, 2 regular windows near the end of the room,  plus 2 sky lights giving the room plenty of natural daylight.

I kept the room pretty much as is until earlier this year when I finally decided to sell off the trains and convert the room to my studio thereby having all of my jewelry making paraphernalia in one central place.

Phase 1 in full motion today.  Now I need to start putting the trains that have boxes together and store until I can get them photographed.  Still not sure if I will use ebay, craigslist or local train shows.  It will be a major undertaking as I am finding trains everywhere in this house.  Of course there are some that have quite special memories and will remain on display.

At first I was going to sell the 2 tables that made up the layout (each are 4x8) then thought no I will use them as my work tables.  I have stools I can use since they are higher than a standard table or I can stand if need be.

With the natural light from the sky lights perhaps my photographing skills will improve.  The room also has a pretty strong exhaust fan so that will also help when baking my polymer clay.

It will be a lot of work but when its done I think it will be well worth the time and effort.  The tops are just plywood so I think I might do what B'sue has done for her worktables and try some collage and then polyurethane.  The tables were built on site so if I ever decide to get rid of them there will have to be a dismantling party.

No comments:

Post a Comment